Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday: FBFF Living the Dream

Hello Readers,

Today is Fashion Beauty Friend Friday and the topic is about following your dreams vs having a "job". My parents always told us kids that we could do anything we wanted to do - all we had to do was prepare for it.
How about we live the dream and dance in the street this morning?
I throw my hands up in the air sometimes! Saying Ayo! Gotta let go!
Cute Madden Girl Stilettos with Ruffles! LOVE! 
My favorite - Chanel. My other favorite - Apple..... Chanel in an Apple - PERFECTION! 
I wanna celebrate and live my life!

We gon' light it up like it's DYNAMITE!


So why didn't I become Barbie and marry Ken and have a dream house with a sports car and swimming pool? I played Barbie's for hours on end with my sister... we turned our entire family room into a huge Barbie kingdom! Well, there is one problem with actually becoming Barbie - SHE ISN'T REAL! (SHOCKER!) This is when I was under 10.

Then I wanted to be a concert pianist. I practiced A LOT and I really love(d) playing the piano. I was prepared, I thought. So why didn't I become a concert pianist? Well, I had a tendency to freeze up in front of an audience and when I found out about boys they suddenly seemed more interesting to me. (Another SHOCKER!)

Then I wanted to be a dentist. I decided to become an assistant first to see if I like the field. I LOVED DENTISTRY. But then I suddenly decided I liked a man a lot better than working in people's mouths all day... and I wanted children. So I decided to marry and have children instead of going to dental school. (Not shocked....)

In the years before my 40th birthday I learned how to manage other people's businesses, do corporate taxes, manage a household, run my own business, raise and teach kids, work on teams, get along with those with other opinions and interests in many countries, value time with friends and family, speak publicly and work with a variety of regulatory agencies for various issues. In short, I was preparing for a dream I didn't even know I had. I really wanted to work in corporate America with teams and people and travel the world.

Rockin' the stiletto flamingo! Whoot whoot! (Fist pump in the air!)

With my current life experiences in mind, I will answer the questions everyone is answering for FBFF (click on the right and see what other people are saying):

1. Fess up - if you could do anything professionally what would it
be? 
I want to be a manager of programs and processes in a global corporation that would allow me to use the life skills I have honed over the last 50 years..... OH WAIT! That IS what I do!!! :) I think the only thing now is that I want to go back to managing people like I used to do.



2. What draws you to this? Loving people and working with many types of people towards a common goal. I like helping people be the best they can possibly be - I am good at bringing out the best in people and helping them to realize their potential. 

3. When did you first start dreaming about this ideal? I never did dream it. It just happened slowly over time and now it is a dream realized. YAY!


4. What's holding you back from going all in? I am all in, baby! Nothing is holding me back! I am trying to figure out how to maneuver in corporate America to manage people. I think I just need someone to give me a chance... I am prepared. 

5. Sometimes the first step is the hardest.....what's one step you can
take now on the way to realizing your dream? Keep on keepin' on.... and showing my best work at all times! For you younger people out there.... do what you LIKE and be excellent at it! Excellence is not a single act, it is a habit.  



I wish you enough dreams to know when you achieved one!


Cheers! xoxo

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post! Througohut our lives, we change directions so many times, but most important of all is that we're following our dreams, whatever they may be.

    http://red-soledfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angelica, Thank you for such a sweet comment! I hope all your dreams come true! Sherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason the FBFF button isn't working... check it out with this URL.

    http://www.modlychic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry, wherever it was you were dancing, honey I want to be right there dancing alongside! Woot! Woot!

    Isn't it fun to get older? Reading through participating blogs, some of the younger gals seem to have the hardest time with believing anything can be possible. Whereas us more "mature" ladies, (lol, I love saying that. As if!), have endured so much already, we know we can keep going and not much is going to stop it.

    Love your style, lady! You'll get there. I hope we get to meet soon'ish:)
    xo,
    fThe House in the Clouds

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those ruffled pumps and vibrant cardigan!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fabienne! You were dancing with me in my head... ! :) This is where I live - ON VACATION! When we meet F2F I will have to tell you more! :)

    Hi Lyddie - Thank you! It made me feel like dancin' - as you can tell! :)

    Cheers my beautiful bloggy friends! xoxo

    ReplyDelete